One thing that many homeowners don’t really give too much thought to is the health of the roof over their heads. The roof is exposed to all sorts of weather conditions over time that can give rise to damage and leaks. When this happens, it can cause plenty of damage if left neglected. This is where a roof repair company can help.
The Signs of a Leaking Roof
So, how do you know when to call a roof repair company such as City2Surf Roofing? Here are some sure signs that your roof may have a problem:
- Drips when it rains: If you have leaks and holes in your roof, you’ll know about it during heavy rainfall. If the leaks are big enough, all of that rain water will leak inside the roof space and pool on top of the ceiling. In some cases, the rain water will start to drip through the roof and into the house to the point where you’ll need to place a bucket to catch it all. In other cases, you might just hear the steady drip of rain hitting the top of the ceiling. In either case, this is a sure sign that you have a roof leak or two to have repaired.
- Water damage: As rain water leaks into the roof space, it will pool in various areas. This will often show inside the home as water damage and most often looks like black, brown, or grey spots or circles on the paint or wood. If the leak has been there for long enough, it may even be inside the wall cavity and be causing other issues.
- Black mould: Rain is also an ideal habitat for the growth of black mould. You may see mould forming where there is water damage inside your home, and you might also smell the mustiness of it. The spores from black mould growth can cause all sorts of health problems in people who are allergic to it.
- Dislodged tiles: If you’ve ever look at your roof from the outside and seen some cracked or dislodged roof tiles, it might be time to have a closer look. When tiles are moved or damaged in this way, they can become an entry point for rain water.
What Happens When Rain Gets Inside Your Roof?
Over time, every roof will be damaged due to the nature of the weather. Harsh sun, wind, and rain will cause damage to any roof over time, and this can cause leaks. So, what happens when water does get inside? Consider the following:
- It causes damage to insulation
- Damage to wooden battens and other structures
- Damage to ceilings and walls
- Damage to electrical wiring
- Damage to air conditioning tubing
All of this extra damage can really add up to a big repair bill if you’re not careful. If you notice anything amiss with your roof, it’s best to call a roof repair company as soon as possible to have a look.